From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:48:15 -0700
On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> an excellent point as there was a recent discussion on the A&A list (which
> is slowly dying under onerous new Terms of Participation) concerning
> whether or not physical records should be retained after
> imaging/digitizing/scanning/termdujour.
>
> having posted numerous stories over the past years about problems related
> to images (microfilm and digital) and e-storage solutions, I would hope
> that NARA would retain the physical Permanent records and  do the imaging
> solely for access purposes.. do the imaging on an "as needed" basis, wait
> until someone requests the  records then image them. don't waste time,
> money and effort imaging something that may never ever see the light of
> flat-screen  monitor

In our support role to a Federal Agency who many times are impacted by
these "unfunded mandates", this is the tactic we have taken.  Imaging on a
day forward basis and as content is accessed for reference and use.

There are certain repositories we are purposely imaging for use, but in ALL
CASES, we post-process the source materials, add a location key to the
images, and retain the source documents of ALL Permanent and any records
with a retention period greater than 25 years.

This reduces the cost of a concerted project to image a massive volume of
content at one time, and allows us a little bit of flexibility on the
exacting standards required to generate images that would be considered
"legally acceptable", because the images are considered "reference copies"
of the original records, which are maintained in their original form/format.

Larry

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*