From:
Violet Lutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 13:14:19 -0400
>>I would hope that NARA would retain the physical Permanent records and
do the imaging

> solely for access purposes..
> ​<<

​Hi, about the concerns expressed for retention of originals, and also
quality control -- points that I appreciate as well, I think it's important
to note that besides the overall NARA Strategic Plan, 2014-2018, the
NARAtions blog post also links to a more specific document for
"digitization strategy" --entitled "Strategies for Digitizing Archival
Materials for Public Access, 2015-2024" which maybe gives a more complete
picture of the intention:

http://www.archives.gov/digitization/strategy.html  (link on the right)

--this sub-plan, in emphasizing the goal as being public access, does show
concern for the fate of the originals, specifying as one of the
"digitization ​objectives":

"Enhance preservation of records by reducing wear and tear on the
originals. While digitizing for access has some preservation benefits, it
is not the same as digitization for preservation reformatting. We will not
destroy or de-accession any originals that are digitized for access" (p. 2)

And under "Definition of Digitizing for Public Access" there is mention of:
"Quality control of digital copies and metadata" (p. 3) -- for more
specifics, under "Additional resources," there are "technical guidelines"
in digitizing for access, as well as materials concerning preservation
reformatting:

http://www.archives.gov/digitization/resources.html

Violet Lutz

(Hi, I'm new to the list -- I am a grad student in Library and Information
Science, and also work as a processing archivist)