From:
Tyrene Bada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:17:06 +0000
As a last-minute idea, I threw an informal "Electronic Records Day" event at my workplace.  I got some ideas from interested coworkers, but in the end, I put it all together myself.  Here is a recap of what was offered, and the outcome:

Advertising:
* Used the phrase "technophobes welcome" on flyers
* Prize Drawing for PERSONAL STARBUCKS RUN STRAIGHT TO YOUR DESK!
* Event would last from 2-4pm, but was advertised as "arrive at your leisure"

Room Set-Up:
* Continuous playing of YouTube playlist featuring Iron Mountain's funny RM clips & National Archives "Word of the Day" videos
* Infographics posted around the room (used a lot of special tape that wouldn't damage walls)
* Handouts from CoSA website (Personal Digital Archiving & Government Digital Tips)
* FILE FORMAT GAME!  Guess the file format from its extension (i.e. JPEG), and guess either what it stands for, the file type, and its native application
* PRIZE DRAWING box and entries

Outcome:
* 12 people showed up! (Many people are not here on Fridays)
* Some cross-departmental connections were made for future projects!
* Great discussion during the FILE FORMAT GAME
* Everyone loved the Iron Mountain videos, no one wanted to watch the "word of the day" videos
* Before the event, some people asked me if they "needed to go," and others told me that they didn't need to go.
* Some were confused about the meaning of "at your leisure."
* Some were unclear about what they would be learning.  They thought it was a training session.
* Used RANDOMPICKER.COM to pick prize winner - cool!

Next year, I will try to:
* Make messaging more clear
* Have participants vote on their favorite infographic
* Include interactive board where people can indicate which portable electronic devices they use (iPad, Kindle, Nook, smartphone, etc)

Other unexpected snags:
* I didn't have enough time to send the infographics to our in-house printing staff for a professional look.  I printed the graphics on multi-page 11 x 17 sheets of paper.
* Setting up the YouTube videos took extra help from our IT team.  We are in a new building, and the procedures for setting up tech are still unclear.  Who would've known that the display port was on the floor underneath the middle of the large table?

I had fun.

Tyrene

*** See you at the 2014 EPIC LISTERV PARTY! ***
*** Sunday, October 26, 2014, 7:00pm - Location: TBA ***
*** 2014 ARMA International Conference, San Diego, CA ***
Tyrene Bada, MLS, CRM
Office of the City Attorney | City of Beaverton, Oregon

Vice President-Programs, Oregon Chapter of ARMA International
2014-2015 Board of Directors, NW Chapter of AIIM

Save our in-boxes!  http://emailcharter.org

PUBLIC RECORDS LAW DISCLOSURE

This e-mail is a public record of the City of Beaverton and is subject to public disclosure unless exempt from disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law.  This email is subject to the State Retention Schedule.