From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2014 15:11:53 -0500
Apparently this text is written from the premise that if you say something
often enough and loud enough people will believe you.  The only difference
that I see so far with Information Governance is that it appears that the
technology side of the business is beginning to play in the same sandbox
and that has been sadly lacking for a long time.

If you want to change the name from Records Management to Information
Governance - go for it!​  But let's stop the bad mouthing.  If you have a
good idea - promote it.  But if you always need to bad mouth your
"competition" it appears that you don't have such a good idea.

For example:  as stated in this article,  "while information governance is
centered on looking after and making decisions about an organization's
information assets, throughout its entire lifecycle."  This has always been
the focus for Records Managers so stop pretending that this is a new idea.

When I first attended the ARMA conference in 1980 the focus was on
microfilm records and how to incorporate them into the "management of
records and information".  In the mid-1990's it was email.  And the focus
has continued to expand to include all media and formats of organizational
records and information.  I am definitely in favor of including the digital
information into the managed information environment.  In fact it will be a
relief if the IT world will play the same game.  But, please, let's stop
playing this child's game of "I'm better than you".  And let's keep to the
truth and drop the lies that are being blasted around.

I have always included all media in the policies and retention schedules
that I have produced.  How we manipulate (create, store, retrieve, destroy)
the various formats is certainly different; and the digital information has
always been the most difficult to manipulate.

So, if you think the title Information Governance works better and helps
you develop an all inclusive focus on records and information I applaud
you.

Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371