From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2014 12:30:59 -0500
> What is the most interesting old record you have come across.
> 1929 movie of a plant being built.
>
> Glen Sanderson

I just finished a vault for a Town Hall in Lyme, Connecticut and they have a set of really unique records that go back to the time where England still controlled the Colonies. They have records called “Grant Books” that are a direct descendant of the Domesday (aka Doomsday Book ) Book of King William ( William the Conqueror) begun in 1086 as a Census and a means for taxing the inhabitants.  This custom continued into the New World and was included in the Town Hall Vaults.  The Deed Books begin in 1562.

If you would like to see the photos of the Grant Books; or, see pages of the original Doomsday Book as it was popularly known as the judgements in it were true and final, there is a link to this Case Study:

http://www.firelock.com/historic-records-case-study-lyme-ct-full.htm <http://www.firelock.com/historic-records-case-study-lyme-ct-full.htm>

My life is similar to a Butler as I spend my whole life taking care of other people’s great collections. Vicarious Archiving?

The Case Study also has a link to the original Domesday Book if you have some skill in Latin as the Monks kept the early history.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM