From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:41:12 -0800
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Davis, Bradlee W. (Info - Raleigh-Durham) <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I know that this has probably been discussed a million times on here but
> my firm is in the throws of making these decisions as part of our IG Task
> Force and our GC has asked me to informally survey other law firms to get a
> short list of what others are doing.  We have already proposed a couple of
> solutions based on what IG Task Force members prior firms have done but we
> are looking for others.  I would appreciate any information regarding
> policies that are working including:
>

> 1)      How long are emails allowed to remain in an unmanaged format in
> Outlook Inbox, Subfolders, Sent, etc.
>
> 2)      If emails are not moved into a managed format, how long do they
> remain in Archives?
>
> 3)      How long do emails remain in the Deleted Items Folder?
>
> Thanks in advance.  You may email me directly with your word of wisdom.

No intent of being facetious, but it's like this:

http://www.noogenesis.com/pineapple/blind_men_elephant.html

You're going to get a lot of 'opinion' on the issue, but it'll be up to
YOUR FIRM to determine what is the best course of action.  And to a large
degree, it depends upon how risk averse or tolerant your organization is.

Your sig line mentioned: "Representing management exclusively in workplace
law and related litigation"

So someone should be weighing in on the statutory, regulatory or other
legal requirements your email and other content is subject to... likely you
won't have a "one size fits all" situation, unless you choose something
extremely long.

It's important not to lose sight of the fact that email is nothing more
than a conveyance method for information... and information retention is
based on subject and value of the content, NOT how it was generated or
received.

And in many cases, email also has attachments, so are they being managed
WITH the email (inline) or separated and retained independently, and if
so.. how do you reestablish the linkages to ensure the retentions are
complimentary?

...the mind wanders....

--
Larry