From:
"Elizabeth W. Adkins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:04:03 -0500
Please join the Northern Virginia Chapter of ARMA (ARMA NOVA) for our March
chapter meeting.  Our program theme for this Chapter Season is “On-Ramps to
Information Governance,” and our speaker for the meeting is Joel Westphal,
Deputy Director Department of the Navy Records Management.

The title of Joel’s presentation is, “Who Are We, Why Are We Here?”  He will
provide his perspective about the current state of the records management
profession, based on his experiences at the Department of the Navy, Office
of Personnel Management, the United States Central Command, and numerous
Federal agencies.  He will discuss the changing role of records managers in
the emerging field of information governance.

About our Speaker:

Joel Westphal is the Deputy Director, Directives and Records Management
Division within the Department of the Navy’s (DON) Office of the Assistant
for Administration under the Secretary of the Navy and is also the
designated Records Officer of the DON. Prior to this position he has served
as the Agency Records Officer for the Office of Personnel Management and as
the Command Records Manager for United States Central Command in Tampa,
Florida, as the Chief, Records Management Section. During this time, Mr.
Westphal also served as the Executive Agent for the Preservation of all
Operation IRAQI FREEDOM and Operation ENDURING FREEDOM records created by
Central Command and all subordinate Joint Task Forces in Iraq and
Afghanistan.  In his role as the Command Records Manager for a Combatant
Command, Mr. Westphal also served as the records management oversight for
United States Forces-Iraq and United States Forces-Afghanistan and worked
with them on collecting and preserving their operational records.

Prior to his work at Central Command, Mr. Westphal worked as a records
manager at numerous Federal Agencies, including the Federal Trade
Commission, Federal Railroad Administrations, Environmental Protection
Agency, and also worked as the Head Processing Archivist at Naval History
and Heritage Command at the Washington Naval Yard.  He is a graduate of the
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he taught American and military
history and received Master’s Degrees in history and Library and Information
Science.

DATE:  Wednesday, March 4, 2015

TIME:
6:00 PM  Registration
6:30 PM  Dinner
7:30 PM  Program

PLACE:  Clyde's of Tyson’s Corner 8332 Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA (703) 734-1901

PARKING:  Free at the restaurant

METRO:  Five-minute walk from Greensboro station on the Silver Line

COST:  Prior to midnight February 27:  $30.00 Member, Government Employee,
or Full-Time Student; $35.00 Non-Member
After midnight February 27:  $35.00 Member, Government Employee, or
Full-Time Student; $40.00 Non-Member

Register at https://co.clickandpledge.com/advanced/default.aspx?wid=32497

Elizabeth W. Adkins
President, ARMA NOVA