From:
"Toner, Alex John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 16:45:16 +0000
Hello Barbara,

I agree with what’s been said on the subject and wanted to add my two cents. While documenting your own methods, procedures, policies, and overall records management program in general, keep in mind the importance of the institutional memory of long-time employees.

Here in the registrar’s office at Pitt we have several long-time employees whose knowledge has been invaluable to me in understanding the changing structure of the University and it’s procedures over time. They know how business processes used to be transacted, what a form used to be called, how schools and departments were structured, what procedures were used in granting this-or-that, what reports can be used to obtain a piece of information necessary in locating another piece of information, etc… You get the idea.

Their knowledge is often the key to locating or referencing the correct record that will ultimately lead to answers, and without it other records, reports, and procedural understanding remains locked. I’m documenting as much as of this institutional memory as I can before they all retire; the information is vital to whoever succeeds me!

Alex J. Toner
Archives & Records Manager
Office of the University Registrar
University of Pittsburgh