From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2015 17:17:06 +0000
Fred Grevin wrote:
Rob, I'd like to know more about these "suspicious circumstances", since Harding is commonly thought to have died of a cerebral hemorrhage, and had been visibly ill for several months prior to his death.

While it was likely he was in bad health (he smoked and drank - a lot and most of his life) actual cause of death is always fuzzy other than to say "natural causes".  The article linked below uses words like "apparent heart attack" and discusses fever, cerebral hemorrhage, pneumonia, enlarged heart, food poisoning etc. . With no autopsy allowed by his wife, it's odd the actual cause of death doesn't seem to be known for a president. And there is this line from history.com:

" At around 7:30 p.m. a day later, Harding abruptly died in bed, supposedly as his wife read to him a flattering article about himself. Accounts differ as to who was in the room at the time and the exact sequence of events."

Lincoln died almost 60 years earlier and we have detained accounts of who, what, when, where, and how he died along with who was present and when. With Harding it's very speculative although History.com goes to great pains to be objective. I have seen some speculation he was on narcotic pain killers prescribed by his homeopathic doctor and they didn't want the autopsy to show anything like that in the results. The suspicious part is there is very little verifiable information about what actually happened. Wikipedia states cerebral hemorrhage and History.com says heart attack(s) as cause of death. I guess it could be both but not likely. It's very puzzling especially for such a public figure who was so well liked at the time.

http://www.history.com/news/the-unexpected-death-of-president-harding-90-years-ago

I does explain a little more why the US Gov't now goes to great length to ensure a US President has good quality doctors available to treat them. Historically, the opposite seems to have been true. While people can blame medicine practices at the time, in many cases the practices used were considered outdated or wrong even by physicians of the day.

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Supervisor Records Management
KCMO
http://www.mriglobal.org