From:
Joey Denton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:43:00 -0400
Hello all,

A brief intro before my question since this is my first post - lived in Texas
my whole life, I'm originally from Houston, moved up to the DFW
metroplex for grad school and recently got my Master's degree in History
with a focus on Archival Administration. I'm currently working as the
archivist and developing the archival program for a company in Dallas.

Now my question - the company I work for has had a records management
program in place for quite some time, and I'm having to move materials
out of that database and into the 'archive'. I'm mainly wondering what best
practice is when it comes to this transition:

- How should it be recorded within the records management database (eg,
Is the box destroyed and removed from the database entirely? Or is it kept
in the database with the archive used as the permanent location? Should
you include any reference to the previous box information in the
provenance for the material once you separate it, even when the initial
description was inaccurate to begin with?)

- How many copies are worth keeping in the records side after moving
materials over to the archive? For example, I am keeping up to 3 copies of
each annual report if available for the archive, but we are also still keeping
a small amount in the records management database and I don't think we
need more than a couple. Is there a general guideline for determining the
amount necessary for retention on the records side once that material is in
the archive as well?

Thank you,

Joey Denton
Dallas, TX