From:
Brian Starck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:45:56 +0000
Thanks for bringing this up!  I'm getting ready to write a policy on this myself.  We used WebEx in the past and now use Zoom which has many of the same features.  Regardless of the tool, I think it would be wise to create a policy around its use so everyone knows what is expected.  For instance, you might state that individual chat archiving has been turned off and official business decisions must be documented via memo or email.  Likewise for persistent chat rooms, that business decisions must be otherwise documented.  If you have a retention schedule or policy around voice recordings you could update it to include video recordings as well.  I think there was a session on this at ARMA a couple of years ago that I'm trying to find in my notes.  I'd be happy to share if I find them.

I agree that there are a lot of advantages to chats and video conferencing (including decreasing the volume of email).  Make sure that legal signs off on whatever you decide.

Brian K. Starck, CRM, IGP
Opinions expressed are my own and not that of my employer.