From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:53:18 -0600
In recent weeks, I have seen queries on this list serv and the UK list serv
regarding restructuring of a file server.

I know that some people are looking for an easy way to design a taxonomy
that can be used in an electronic environment.  Sorry but I can't help those
people because unfortunately designing taxonomies is a lot of work.  But
once users complete this task, a well designed taxonomy and retention
schedule is invaluable.

Other people are simply a bit apprehensive about working on a file server as
they have not had much experience in this environment.

I have recently adjusted my website and placed two documents there for
downloading.  One is a pdf that describes a methodology for designing and
validating a taxonomy and the second will provide an introduction to working
on a file server regarding such areas of concern as paths, security
permissions etc.  There are a few simple tools and concepts that may be
useful to anyone embarking on this type of project.  Also there is a
complete checklist to converting to a new structure i.e. the steps that must
be taken so that security is maintained, documents are not lost etc.

www.cccrecords.com

The discussion document arose from an extensive consulting project for an
organization of more than 2,500 staff.  The taxonomy and retention schedule
design took almost a year to complete; user involvement WAS extensive.  A
pilot business unit was then selected for implementation.  It was successful
but slow and used costly IT resources so we developed a better process and
the result is the detailed step by step method in the document.  The project
then began implementations in each business unit.  More than 40 areas have
switched to their new folder structure successfully and the project is now
continuing with existing staff.  It takes a dedicated team and the
unwavering support of management but servers can be reorganized to be
effective storage for electronic documents.  This organization now plans to
move to an ECM system (Enterprise Content Management) and expects that this
server reorganization will reduce the time taken to move to a better
environment.

Please feel free to send me any comments or questions off line.

Regards
Jim

Jim Connelly, CRM
Connelly Consulting