From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:25:14 -0400
Tyrene:

I was recently in the Rayburn House Office Building, and also in the Capitol on some ARMA business and did not encounter problems.  I had a smartphone on me and may have even had a backpack/laptop.  The usual magnetometer screening like any other.

Senators and Representatives as human like the rest of us. They want to hear about what is happening and this topic (management of (federal) records) is of interest to some of them and the number is growing.  Congress will be in session and they are a busy lot so some times they must excuse themselves to do things like vote in committee of on the floor.  Schedules (times and locations) are subject to change. We were supposed to meet a congressman in his office but since there was voting on the floor our meeting moved to a lounge close to the floor so we had to hoof it through the tunnel to the Capitol (another security check). Just one example.  So, tips:
-Travel light. Ditch the expo floor stuff and anything beyond a purse or reasonable size bag
-Bring ID
-If you can't carry it into the cabin of the plane you are taking east, don't try to bring it to the Capitol complex
-"Good afternoon Congressman Jones" will do fine. They will likely ask you name and where you live. They may ask how your visit to the DC are is going...
-I'd say stick to the topic we are there to discuss unless they stray
-They don’t bite. Relax and enjoy
-Don't be too nervous. Keep the ice cream and toppings going in you and not on you
-Have fun

See you on The Hill (and at the conference)!

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, IGP, CIP
Silver Spring MD
www.twitter.com/tchernik

PS - Most of the above applies to visiting in their office as well.  No tips on that. Most of my encounters with Congressman and Senators has not even occurred on the Hill.