From:
"LEVEY, MICHAEL D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2015 15:03:45 +0000
Tammy,

A few years ago I too hoped to grow the Columbia SC ARMA Chapter membership by reaching out to students enrolled in library and information science programs at the University of South Carolina. I had a number of meetings with faculty and the director of the school of library and information science. Sadly, we realized students and new graduates were not joining the chapter because they had no exposure to RIM as a profession. Rather than abandoning all hope, the university asked me to teach RIM as an elective for graduate students in the evening. The course focuses on RM roles as well as the functions of RIM.  I developed the curriculum and selected two textbooks for the class (Franks, Patricia C. - Records & Information Management & Bailey, Steve. Managing the Crowd: Rethinking Records Management for the Web 2.0 World). I contacted the authors of the textbooks for insight and to preview my syllabus. The students really enjoyed Steve Bailey's book and it generated a lot of 'sexy' if not controversial discussion. Steve also agreed to serve as a guest lecturer via on-line chat and video streaming tools live from the UK. ARMA International permitted me to use articles from Information Management Journal as supplemental readings. I began by teaching a traditional class lecture. During the summer of 2014, I completed coursework via the University to enable me to deliver online RIM education in a university setting. This year I "flipped" my classroom, and the course is now 100% online. I had students from Virginia to South Carolina, some of whom are working professionals and archivists recently charged with RIM duties within their organizations. We added a couple of new members that were my students.  I will teach again next year.  This summer I had the opportunity to hire an intern from the University to assist me with some archival challenges regarding the preservation of historical information dating back several hundred years. The chapter also continues to collaborate with the University for special events and speakers for chapter meetings. Additional opportunities may include hosting an ARMA booth at a University sponsored Career Fair.  Your ARMA Regional Advisor for Education and Programming may have some great advise and experiences to share too.  I know that you are on the right path! It will be important to implement a diverse strategy for recruiting students to your chapter and know that it will take some time to yield results.

Good luck!  I hope to learn more about your future successes.

Michael Levey
SCANA Corp