From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2015 18:00:28 +0000
Hi Chris, at a former law firm, we did a massive clean up of Project Rooms (I tried to avoid using the term "war room" although that was sometimes a losing battle).  We didn't focus so much on volume as we did assigning necessary space (we had multiple rooms, so space wasn't always the most critical issue, it was usually "need").  Any request for a room had to be approved by the Paralegal Manager and coordinated with RIM.  We also tried very hard to not allow any client-matters be stored in project rooms that weren't active matters.

Overall, management of these rooms was a very hard goal to achieve, but we did it and something I was very proud of.  It took dedication from the RIM Department and, especially, the Paralegal management (they took some real hits in rolling this out).  Constant supervision was also necessary or "squatting" would ensue.  It was also important to get the support of the key practice area chairs/managing partners as there were paralegals who tried to go over management's head (plus not all "squatters" were paralegals).

Another consideration was practice area, as some practice groups were more paper intensive than others of course.  If records are rampant in project rooms, it might also be an opportunity to look how well the client-matter is being managed in terms of electronic vs. paper records (e.g., is there unnecessary printing going on).  At one law firm, we tried to do away with as much paper document review as possible.

Hope all this helps!  Project rooms have always been a challenge to control, especially when you have multiple rooms and practice areas.  (PS - A side issue from the use of project rooms can be unnecessary labeling on the outside of the boxes - especially if the boxes are going to offsite storage.  This concern is one of client confidentiality.)

Best wishes,

- Brett

Brett Wise CRM, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514