From:
charlene martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:12:10 -0400
Hi everyone -

Sorry if none of you deal with photographs - but I thought I'd try.
Besides, this group does the best job of balancing best practices with
practical realities :)

I would like to write brief descriptive metadata on the back of my
photographs. I have recently heard this is not good, that I should use
strategies such as writing on foil-backed labels $$  then sticking them to
photo backs, or use surrogate photocopies and indexing systems. However, I
worry about the data getting separated from the photo. I don't have the
access regulation control that I would like to have, so this is a real
possibility (except for the stickers).

My question is: can I use Pigma Micron archival ink pens (Sakura Color
Products Corp.), or should I stick to using soft-graphite pencils that the
archival vendors sell? My impression was that the micron pen ink would
eventually sink through the paper/RC layer of the photo, and end up on the
emulsion side.

Thank you!

Charlene Martin/Archivist
Sisters of St Francis