From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2015 11:44:47 -0400
You know what would be refreshing on your posts, is for our readership or yourself to point out on certain topics where they deviate from true and acknowledged records management and governance policies.

For example when the law firm talks about total conversion of paper records to digital records, someone could add Best Practice for digital migration, or ANSI lifespans for microfilm, LTO tapes and so on.  This is similar to how on some web sites when you search apples, the search engine offers “You might also be interested in oranges or medicinal effects of an apple a day”

So on the above post we might add direct links to “ARMA’s migration of records to digital format” or “NFPA 232 Protection of Records, electronic records”

Or maybe that is what the readership should provide. Steve Whitaker who is a fan of digital records could provide a link to Guidelines for Digital Records. Someone else could provide a link to an ISO Standard.

It seems that ARMA could provide guidance from their published documents and books that would be worthwhile.

For example:   Former DePeyster town clerk and tax collector gets probation for tampering with public documents

How is this possible that she got off so easy?  It is a felony in New York State; where this occurred, to destroy a public record. If she changed the record to reflect she did not owe taxes or already paid them, she destroyed the prima facie record version which is against the law.  I bet Fred Grevin could provide additional statutes that would define this.

Your Case Studies should be the launch pad for serious discussions of the laws, Best Practice and linkage between Information Governance and Records Management.

You do a great service but it would be refreshing to see us take it a step further.  Ginny Jones and Larry Medina have done this many times in the past but it would be nice to have more of us add some comments.

Maybe at the bottom of the Case study you add:
Controlling Standard:
ARMA Publication citing this topic:
Best Practice citation:

And we see if the readership will fill them in. It might be fun for a few weeks??

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM