From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2016 13:20:09 -0800
Once upon a time I worked for a company that originated as a major agricultural landowner in the county. The owners of that company are icons of the community. We kept copies of all former deeds as a historical record to show the progression of the company from a small farming operation to the retail giant it is today.

In addition, at least in California, environmental issues and liability continue long after you have disposed of property. Some common business practice from back in the 40's may have caused some environmental damage. Years later you can be held accountable even if you sold that property decades ago. Knowing exactly what land you have ever owned is very useful in determining exactly who is liable.

Nolene Sherman