From:
Gary Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2016 12:31:37 -0500
<<
The term "records" seems to cause too much confusion, even after decades
of attempting to socialize the concept and definition within
organizations.

That's because we records managers and information governors ('allo
govn'r) use the term "records" for too many different things.

We use "records" to name the ocean of things that could potentially be
records:." A record is recorded information of any kind..."
We use "records" to name the things that are official records of our
organization: "Primary Records or Official Records"
And we use records to name things that aren't records at all:
"Non-records."

No wonder we confuse anyone we talk to. I myself am having treatment.

Internally we've moved to these terms:

"Content" is the ocean of things that could potentially be records:
recorded information of any kind. (Borrowing from the content management
folks, I know)
"Information" is content that has been given context and value through
analysis, interpretation, or compilation in a meaningful form.
The term "Record" is used for solely content or information that is
subject to our RRS.
The term "Non-Record" is used for content or information not subject to
our RRS.
The terms "Record" and "Non-Record" are each used to denote the Status,
not the type, of content or information.

Gary Link
Pittsburgh, PA

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error, please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the sender. This message may be considered a commercial electronic message under Canadian law or this message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US law. You may unsubscribe at any time from receiving commercial electronic messages from PNC at http://pages.e.pnc.com/globalunsub/
PNC, 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222; pnc.com