From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2016 17:57:19 +0000
Debi,
We do onsite audits every two years. I use the NARA CFR standard as a guide (36 CFR Part 1228 Subpart K). You can have performance levels for deliveries and notifications regarding things such as sales and acquisitions of providers in your agreements. I use the "spirit of the CFR" to cover basics such as security, organization(people and the facility itself- are there too many shelving units, is the processing area a mess etc.), access, pest control, fire control, disaster planning, training of employees, procedures and SOPs, and environmental controls. What are the standards you use for your onsite records for those factors? What are acceptable standards for your records held offsite given HVAC and structural limitations?

The point is they have demonstrated programs and processes. They have a security and access process and the hardware and building structure to back it up. They have a pest control program and you see evidence and documentation of it.

You can also gain a lot of information by paying careful attention when you visit. Look high and low for problems with pests and water intrusion. Are shelving units buckling or unsecured? Are there areas that seem especially dirty or messy and if so why? Are the fire doors secure or are they left open? Are dock doors left unsecured or propped open?(we witnessed this with former providers and we have pulled our inventory and terminated our relationship with them). Are employees engaging in safe workplace practices as they go about their tasks(I witnessed an employee standing on top of a pole trying get an overhead door open - if he had fallen he would have been injured or killed). Unsafe practices can lead to fires and structure collapses such as the event that happened in Landover, MD. That workplace accident led to the loss of many records for a lot of organizations. There is going to be paper dust of course. Look for things that seem out of the ordinary. We try to look at different facets of operations each time we visit since they usually don't change that much if at all with a  good vendor. If you do note changes, you can and should investigate further. Hopefully this helps!

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Manager-Records and Library Services
http://www.mriglobal.org