Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2016 20:33:47 -0600
The State Department’s records management, FOIA compliance, and oversight
responsiveness have endured withering scrutiny in court and on Capitol Hill
since disclosure of Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server during
her tenure as Secretary of State. Just this week, Judge Emmett Sullivan
ordered discovery to proceed in *Judicial Watch v. State Department*. While
the political bullseye on Clinton and court FOIA machinations drive current
press coverage, problematic State Department records management and
accountability long predate Clinton’s tenure.
From FOIA responses to the preservation of public records, both the
agency’s internal oversight mechanisms and congressional committees have
expressed their frustration with the State Department’s recordkeeping.
These systemic problems have very little to do with Clinton’s email
practices, but they add to the atmosphere under scrutiny. Perhaps the heat
of the controversy will bring some much needed resources and leadership to
the State Department’s accountability culture.

http://bit.ly/1oRzREP
http://bit.ly/1oRzREP+

--
Peterk