From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2016 08:40:19 -0700
On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Carlo Perez <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Does anyone know of any recent cases in which a Company has failed with
> their records management program which led to unforeseen consequences?
> For example, a records retention program or a lack there of, had old
> records which were eligible to be destroyed and weren't but then those
> records came up in during a case which then led to further problems?
> My current company is in the process of rolling out a program and I'd like
> to show examples of why its important.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/14/business/us-trust-is-fined-10-million-in-bank-secrecy-law-case.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1010695966620300040

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-court-of-appeal/1389602.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/14/business/executives-ordered-shredders-as-imclone-inquiries-began.html

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/digitaldiscovery/library/spoliation/carlucci.html

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/07/record-23-6-billion-judgement-against-rj-reynolds-unlikely-to-stand-experts/

https://www.manatt.com/uploadedFiles/News_and_Events/Articles_By_Us/BusinessCrimesBulletin05_03.pdf

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-02-25/business/1997056066_1_policyholders-prudential-lawyer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/11/pge-san-bruno-settlements_n_3903832.html

I think these are sufficient to indicate the value of having a solid
records management Policy, supported by procedures to ensure it is followed
and to establish a Records Management Program with senior official backing.

Larry

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*