From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2016 21:32:45 -0500
Ksenia,

Email is still something of a mixed bag of approaches. I know of a company
that has a flat 30 day retention period for all email. Period. They have
taken the approach (with varying results) that an email is an envelope and
the actual communication is an attached document. That goes against how
most folks treat email, but they tell people to retain the attachments.
They haven't had any negative results, so far. I'm more than a little
skeptical of that approach, but for that organization, it works. Other
organizations keep everything forever, and then there are a bunch of
variations, mostly self-managed.

Email in Google Apps for Work is claimed to have a "retention period" (via
Google's Vault tool), but that is one size fits all and no ability to be
granular. You also cannot easily export a single email object (message) for
retention.

Microsoft Outlook has better capability, but you have to beware of the
local PST file if not disabled.

In the cloud, Google Apps for Work (Google Drive) has zero retention
management capability. I'm aware of one bolt on tool that should have good
capability soon, but adds a lot of complexity (and cost) to the
environment. Also note that Google Drive needs some massaging to ensure
retention of documents after a user is terminated because all documents are
associated with a user account. If that account is terminated, everything
associated with it will go "poof!". Box.com is coming on strong for good
integration with Google and Microsoft. I like it a lot, but it adds a lot
of cost to the business case for Google or Microsoft. It is, however,
particularly good in a hybrid environment where you have both Microsoft
Office and Google Apps. It also does a good job addressing retention, but
does rely on a corporate taxonomy imposed across the organization. I
haven't evaluated DropBox.

 Patrick Cunningham FAI