From:
Robin Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2016 08:26:38 -0700
Good morning all, this is a fabulous question and topic and one that I have
monitored and watched through market research and hiring trends that I use
when I speak.    It's a fascinating discussion.    I had a friend who worked
at Sysco in Houston where RIM reported to IT, with a dotted line to legal.
When I worked at Shell  in the early 2000s, RIM reported to legal.  With the
discussions about governance as a discipline, six distinctive communities of
practice have arisen within the discipline:  IT, legal, security/privacy,
risk, compliance, and RIM.  From my perspective, I view RIM as an equal to
each of these communities of practice with an equal stake in maximizing the
value of information, while minimizing risk.  That being said, we still see
RIM reporting to one of those communities, and I've run across organizations
who have RIM reporting to IT, legal, Risk or Compliance.  The majority has
been either Legal or IT.  Does anyone know if there is a current industry
survey of corporations which sheds some light?

Robin Athlyn Thompson, CEDS, IGP, CIP, IGp
2910 N. 18th Avenue
North Encanto Historic District
Phoenix, Arizona 85015
602-680-7883 home