From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2016 14:58:33 +0000
Wow, where to begin - just a few of many thoughts on this article!

<Is having inmates help you image files that include PII a worthwhile risk?>

First, this is a great question, especially considering that PHI appears to be included as well as PII (e.g., X-rays, potential prison medical records, etc.).  I sure hope that the OK DOC has a documented (and legally approved) process as to who has access to what type of information.  Given the privacy safeguard requirements of various legislation, this doesn't sound like a good idea at all.
	-  And from a practical RIM perspective, QC is the most critical part of digital scanning.  I couldn't tell for sure if the inmates or small staff was doing post-scanning QC (I think staff), but how can you possibly effectively QC that volume of files with 3 staff, especially considering their other responsibilities?

2nd thought, as of today, they are capturing much information on pen/paper, then converting it to digital.  Is there not a more effective and cost efficient method to do this?  Also, having a more reliable and streamlined system might improve their issues with accurate and up-to-date information.

Finally, not a good idea to tell the press how you are expecting a law suit any day because you are not using the gym for its legally mandated purpose.

What a crazy, crazy article - you have to give them credit for transparency though!!!

Brett Wise CRM, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514