From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2016 19:31:04 +0000
Elizabeth, in my experience - to be 100% sure information is not properly removed from the box, you don't reuse them (plus this addresses any wear and tear issues).  However, I know of organizations who have reused boxes after very thoroughly removing any information and ensuring the box's sturdiness (and I have seen examples of those who aren't that thorough :( ).  Given the cost of boxes, if your organization uses a lot of them, the reuse (or not) of them can become a significant cost factor.  Also, an important factor is the information on the box and the "risk" in it not being properly removed (e.g., legal and/or reputational consequences?).  You know the ole' risk analysis approach.

Another thing to consider - the time it takes to "clean" a box of information.  Boxes usually run around $2 (give or take), so you have to be pretty efficient at removing information to make it worthwhile, especially if you are marking it out (remember that labels placed over information can be easily removed by a motivated individual).

Hope this helps!

Brett Wise CRM, CIPP/US, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514