Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2016 16:41:56 -0700
Another classic "it depends" question.

GENERALLY, a Policy is a high level, internally generated, guidance document.  It's designed to establish how an organization will achieve certain things, typically, compliance with requirements that may be placed on them by external laws, statutes or regulations, or in some cases, contractual obligations.

It's not uncommon (in the case of an RM or RIM Policy) that Otis a very bare bones short document, approved at the highest level of an organization.  In many cases, the policy provides citations to guidance documents as references and also lists lower level companion documents (program descriptions and org charts, procedures, RRS and/or RIDS) that give more direct guidance.  These documents are typically approved at lower levels, and are more 'fluid' in nature, being revised and modified to suit staff and organizational changes to staffing and roles and responsibilities of those performing the work.

The RRS is a "product", based on performing an inventory of information/records generated, or received, a function of business. Once this has been completed, the business needs of the items are evaluated, and research is performed to determine what requirements may exist to retain the information for any specific minimum periods of time.  These requirements and business needs are reviewed, and an RRS (typically functional, but sometimes organizational) is developed, establishing the retention period and disposition authority (if any).  In many cases, the 'finished product' receives legal review, and it is published and anyone responsible for managing information/records is trained on how to apply it.

For the RRS to remain of use, it should be reviewed periodically (annually is common) to see if changes to retention periods are needed, or if items need to be added or deleted from the RRS.

So from my opinion, the RRS is a component of the policy, but in and of itself, it is not a policy, it's a process/procedure document.

Larry

Sent from MY iPhoneSeĆ­s