From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2016 16:48:42 -0600
My thought would be to assess whether or not the vendor risk assessment
plays any role in a potential breach of contract. Let's say a vendor has a
security risk assessed and the vendor promises a risk mitigation plan,
which a subsequent audit finds deficient or non-existent. The contract says
that the vendor has a curative period to remediate the issue, but the
vendor is only allowed X number of deficiencies over the term of the
contract or the contract can be terminated for cause. In that instance, I
would expect that the retention of the risk assessment would need to be
maintained for the life of the contract.

Even if that isn't the case, I think there is some value in maintaining the
history of the risk assessments for the life of the contract. I've seen
situations where a couple years down the road, an issue arises and everyone
walks around saying, "Didn't we address this already?" Or, "How did they
fix this before?" I think they can provide potential leverage with the
vendor if you can point to multiple failures over time, particularly for
the same or similar issues.

Patrick Cunningham, CISM, FAI