From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2017 19:19:20 +0000
Jessica, as noted by many others, the choice you are presented with (offsite vs. onsite shredding) is either made for you (i.e., by a regulation/law that requires you to destroy records onsite) or by a risk assessment.  I don't think there is much question that onsite shredding poses less risks (especially if the process is monitored), but it can come at additional cost and be complicated by such things as geographic location (some locations prohibit the shred trucks due to space issues and/or noise issues) or number of available shred trucks (e.g., the vendor's ability to meet a needed shred date frequency).

Personally, I would never shred records/documents offsite if I had a reasonable choice, but I have been in situations where I didn’t' have that choice.  Whatever you do, whether onsite or offsite, ALWAYS verify that the vendor is certified (I focus on NAID certification).  Make sure to verify that the vendor isn't just a member of the certifying organization (like NAID), but that the vendor is actually certified by the organization.  I have seen situations where the vendor's "marketing" doesn't make that distinction.

Ultimately, as noted, unless required by regulation/law to shred onsite, it comes down to a risk assessment (e.g., does the risk of shredding offsite outweigh potential cost savings or other considerations).  I think this choice is very similar to the discussion of whether to review the contents of a box of records before destroying it or to trust your Records Management System and the staff that sent the box offsite and destroy the box without opening it (saving time and money).  In both debated scenarios, you will find many, many seasoned RIM professionals who will adamantly argue for one side or the other (which probably indicates there isn't one right answer as long as you do due diligence and audit whichever approach you take).

Good luck!!!

Brett Wise CRM, CIPP/US, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514