From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:13:19 -0400
A follow up to my note seeking links about sociological and psychological
elements that can affect RIM, archives, information, and knowledge.
Yesterday I started following George Despres on Twitter.  His Brandeis
Records Manager blog includes a 2014 essay which offers insights on why
"one size doesn't fit all" and how cultural or sociological elements can
affect actions (good and bad) with records.
http://blogs.brandeis.edu/records/2014/04/01/promoting-records-management-for-the-rest-of-us/
 This is on type of the examination of environmental elements that I'm
seeking.

One reason I used Myers Briggs as an analogy is that workplaces can exhibit
a mix of environmental elements that affect the records life cycle.  These
range from high-learning, high-mistake tolerance, low-risk of external
political examination or litigation workplaces (close to an ideal).  To
workplaces with internally perceived high risk of external political
examination or litigation which can contribute to chill in records
creation, and retention or limited learning, low mistake tolerance, zero
defect performative pressures.

There's a spectrum just as with MBTI.  And workplaces can exhibit a mix of
elements (have a genuinely learning culture but fear of exposing internal
operations to outside examination) that may affect records scheduling,
pressure to purge or sanitize existing records for image curation prior to
transfer to archives, etc.

This goes beyond broad groupings (governmental, corporate, academic), of
course.  Some of the elements may be impossible to discuss publicly.  And
not all even are articulated inside a workplace (some is inchoate,
visceral). However, culturally sensitive choices internally can affect
outcomes with RIM programs to some extent.  Which is why I emphasize
customization in each workplace (within the overall umbrella of what is
required by statute, regulations) more so than reliance on templates.  That
depends on high-organizational self awareness.

So my query focuses on workplace psychology and sociology more so than case
studies, which while extremely valuable may be difficult or impossible to
share publicly.

Maarja
@ArchivesMaarja
Blog:  https://archivalexplorations.wordpress.com/