From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 08:51:29 -0700
 In my opinion you cannot rely on either of these tools exclusively.  They are a good starting point but they do not capture everything.  There are all sorts of regulations buried in the state equivalent of the code of federal regulations (which go by a variety of names) as well as municipal regs in some cases.  If you are going to buy these you might want to ask the vendors about their methodology for compiling this information.  Do they have people reviewing all laws and regulations or are they relying upon Westlaw and lexis searching  -- producing a sort of Legal search tool for those who lack the skill or time to do their own legal research.

In a prior job I used one of these products and found it a good starting point for my own research but not as exhaustive as I would have liked.

Just to cite one example -- the Minnesota Administrative rules 9505.2190 establish a retention period of at least 5 years after initial billing for certain vendors of health care services.

I also have a vague memory of an Arkansas records retention regulation which referenced a retention requirement found in a repealed statute.

David B. Gaynon
Huntington Beach CA, USA