From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:00:15 -0700
I see it, too, Linda - I think the bigger counties can hold their own, but sometimes I see stuff coming from the Oregon Association of County Clerks - particularly from some of the smaller counties in Eastern Oregon, and I'm really tempted to ask "do you even know who it is you work for?!!"

Personally, I think recording sections could both profit and really provide a needed service if they went back to the more expansive recording they did up until the 1960's, shifting the focus back to impartiality and trusted repository (ie, if you pay the fee, we will record it), as well as supporting property transactions. Think of it: long term digital preservation is a challenge, yet we already have an existing infrastructure in place to provide long term preservation of document based information in the county recording offices. It would not only bring in more revenue, it would create a direct link between that revenue source and long term preservation. Unfortunately, I think a lot of recorders see the latter as an unnecessary burden - this would create a great incentive for them to invest some of that revenue into that preservation (these records are, after all, generally permanent by statute). It just strikes me as a win win all the way around.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Records Management Program
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Gresham, OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741
fax: (503)988-3754