From:
Jan Sojot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:55:06 -1000
Aloha Colleen,

I have been surprised by the amount of people taking time out of their busy schedules to respond to my inquiry. I wasn't sure what, if any, information I would receive. I'm finding that people in the RIM field are generous and full of aloha. I would definitely be appreciative if you would be able to answer some questions I have. My presentation is in the middle of November and is expected to be only 15-20 minutes in length. At the moment that seems like a long time to talk. However, as I learn more about the subject, I'm finding it to be very interesting and  I'm eager to share what I am learning with my classmates.
I was an employee of Aloha Airlines for a little over 14 years and was working the day they shut down their operations. It was the best job I've ever had and my co-workers were like family. Their shutting down is the reason I am back in school. After a 35+ year break, school has been a little scary and intimidating at times (especially giving oral presentations!). It's also been exciting and interesting, so it all balances out in the end.

These are some of the questions I would like to ask of you. I understand if your time and schedule won't allow you to answer all of them. I am still very appreciative of your help and insight.

1)   What were a few of the most difficult records & information management issues you had during the initial merger operations?

2)   How and who kept the records during the course of the merger?

3)   Were there any migration issues with the records?

4)   How were the customer relations records merged while maintaining quality service?

5)   What were some of the steps you took to maintain the records & information needed to continue to run daily operations as the merger was finalized and minimize the risks of losing any records?

6)   How were you able to accomplish the compliance concerns of airline operations, such as security and required employee training records?

7)   Were there any differences between Delta's and Northwest's retention schedules and how was that addressed?

8)   What role did customer service play into any of the difficulties/concerns you initially experienced with the merger of the records & information?

Again, mahalo (thank you) for responding to my posting. I am excited to see what your insight is into this area, especially with the airline connection. I flew standby on Delta many times over the 14 years I was with Aloha Airlines and always had a good experience. I miss those days!