From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:57:31 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Neil Beagrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:20 AM
Subject: [ARCHIVES-NRA] digital preservation costs and benefits - key
findings: KRDS Factsheet
To: [log in to unmask]

 Apologies for any cross-posting

I am pleased to announce the release of a new Factsheet from the Keeping
Research Data Safe (KRDS) project on the costs and benefits of digital
preservation. The Factsheet is available for download as a PDF from

 http://www.beagrie.com/KRDS_Factsheet_0910.pdf

The A4 four-page factsheet is intended to be suitable for senior managers
and others interested in a concise summary of  our key findings. It will be
relevant to all repositories and institutions holding digital material but
of particular interest to anyone responsible for or involved in the
long-term management of research data.

The factsheet covers the following major areas:

                Cost issues in digital preservation (what costs most, impact
of fixed costs, declining costs over time);

                Benefits from digital preservation (benefits taxonomy,
direct benefits, indirect benefits, near-term benefits, long-term benefits);

                Institutional issues (repository models and structures, key
cost variables, data collection levels).

We hope the Factsheet will be of value to the digital preservation and
research data communities and plan to release a further KRDS publication
later this year (a KRDS User Guide).

The Keeping Research Data Safe studies have been funded by JISC and
conducted by a partnership of the following institutions: Charles Beagrie
Ltd, OCLC Research, the UK Data Archive, the Archaeology Data Service, the
University of London Computer Centre, and the universities of Cambridge,
King’s College London, Oxford and Southampton.

Neil Beagrie

Charles Beagrie Ltd

Digital Access and Preservation

Management and Research Consultancy

Website: www.beagrie.com

Blog: www.blog.beagrie.com

 Contact the list owner for assistance at

For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a
holiday) see the list website at

Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va
http://twitter.com/RAINbyte