Sender:
From:
"Gervais, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:00:52 -0400
Do you mean that you would work an hour extra every day to have every second
Friday off (compressed work week) or do you mean that you would work 10
hours a day to have Friday off every week?

I would approach this like any other business case.  Articulate what the
advantages are for you and the advantages for your employer.

Work/Life Balance - I did this some time ago so that I could go up to my
cottage on the Fridays earlier and also it worked with my daycare schedule.

Some people like this because they can cram more meetings in, get more done
etc.  However, it also can have the opposite effect of burn out!

Also I found that after hours work was productive because my telephone
wasn't ringing off the hook and nobody was interrupting me all the time.  I
was relaxed and got allot done during the quiet hours, like paper work,
budget stuff, staff issues, responding to e-mails, etc.

It really is a work/life balance and it is different for every person.

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Standards Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Intergovernmental and International Affairs Directorate
Policy and Planning Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
25 Nicolas Street, 16th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5