Sender:
From:
Janet Linde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:29:18 -0500
We are investigating the purchase of new software for the publication of an 800-page manual with many footnotes, an index and a table of contents. This manual must be updated as many as four times a year. Currently the manual is produced in WordPerfect, from which we generate both a .PDF to serve as a stable printable version and an html version for online browsing. We are looking for software to simplify the process of updating the manual so that we can update it more frequently (currently we republish once every two years) and so that the process can be more easily learned by temps or can even be handled by existing permanent staff.

We are currently looking into Adobe FrameMaker. I would very much appreciate hearing about any experience members of the list have had using the FrameMaker software or about any other manual production software you think I should investigate.

Many thanks.

Janet Linde
Archivist and Records Manager
American Civil Liberties Union