Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:51:17 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:37:06 -0500, Gervais, John
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Amy's comments .....If the site were wanting that information to charge for
> the privilege of reading their article.....
>
> My response:  I too find it annoying when trying to access "free" white
> papers etc and they ask me to log in or register.

as Milton Friedman (I think) once stated "there is no such thing as a
free lunch". as a market economy you are trading information for
information. you just don't necessarily trade accurate information. Of
course if the companies find that the information is increasingly
inaccurate they may require payment in a different format.

> Maybe it is a time issue
> on my part as much as it is a privacy issue.

some sites are better than others about how long it takes

>  I don't want to start
> receiving e-mails on products, as I was only doing some research.

Most have an opt-out button that you click to make sure you don't get adverts.

>Then there is also the issue of "cookies" being planted in
> your computer.

well that is easily solved by going to (if using IE)
Tools/Internet Options/General then in the space look for the section
titled "Temporary Internet Files" click on the following buttons

Delete Cookies
Delete Files
Clear History (reset your history to zero and you won't have to click
this again)

Now deleting cookies will delete ALL your cookies including the ones
for sites you regularly visit and that require log-in.

>That brings up another privacy issue.
> I would certainly like to see a caveat on those sites that ask for my
> information, informing me of why they require my information, how they will
> use it and lastly, how they will store it.   My two pennies of thought.

not a bad idea IIRC most if not all sites now cary a privacy statement
somewhere on the website, just look for them.

peterk