Sender:
From:
"Breeden, John B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:32:51 -0400
Greetings Brian,
1) What's an "acceptable" sample size for post-scan audit?  (i.e. Audit
after scanning by users to ensure integrity of file and no lost pages)  Is 1
out of a 100 files an industry standard? -Any time you perform sampling, you
run the risk of having lost pages, although you still run the risk of lost
pages even if you do a 100% QC.  I would perform much more extensive
sampling if end-users are scanning than if you have a trained, dedicated
scanning department.  You need to decide what level of quality you need to
achieve, what level of risk are you willing to have, etc.  While I normally
only refer folks to TR34-1996, Sampling Procedures for Inspection by
Attributes of Images in Electronic Image Management (EIM) & Micrographics
Systems only for large scale-batch conversions, it should still be useful
for daily sampling of on-going work.
2) How many resources are used in post scan audit?  Is it equivalent to an
FTE?-Resources needed depend on how extensive the sampling is.  My staff was
able to sample a population of 150,000 (approximately 1500 images sampled)
during a 20 hour week.
3) Does your process allow for identifying "exception" files that require
greater scrutiny?  We treat all scanned files the same... Errors that were
found were corrected, however no files were given greater scrutiny.  What
you seem to be suggesting is a stratified sample, which is discussed in
TR34.
4) Do you destroy all hardcopies after scanning and review?  If not, what do
you retain?  We retain what we classify as "legal" documents that are
considered "risk" in litigation, etc.  If you are concerned about
litigation, I would keep all hardcopies or none of them.  I can picture the
opposing attorney saying, " Now Mr. Moriki, if you don't trust your scanning
system, why should this court accept any images from it?"
5) How long should you retain hardcopies after scanning and review before
destruction?  We keep ours for 7 days after post scan audit... If the images
are part of a workflow and they are being sent to an end-user who will
hopefully catch any problems, then a week to no more than a month would be
appropriate.  If they are not all viewed, I'd be hesitant to destroy that
quickly but it would depend on the importance of the images, your confidence
level in the quality, etc.
John

John Breeden, CRM
VDOT Records Manager