Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:41:47 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 10/3/05, JESSE WILKINS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I agree with Larry's premise but I think there is a bit more that may be
> required. Just because you have the software used to encrypt something
> doesn't mean the software will run on extant hardware, operating systems,
> etc., say, 50 years from now. I'm not a big fan of encrypting individual
> records for precisely that reason.

=) No disagreement... but he didn't ask for guidance that made good sense
=^)

Anything stored in a digital format is going to have these problems, even
items stored on removable media protected by encryption. If the format the
records are captured in, or the application software or hardware chosen is
no longer supported or operationally viable, you'll have these risks.
Unfortunately, there ARE cases where encryption is mandatory to protect
files, records or datasets.

As with all electronic/digital format records management, there is a need to
remain diligent to avoid degradation and obsolescence of hardware, software,
applications and media. Records should be periodically checked, and
converted or migrated as appropriate to retain accessibility.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA