Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:32:37 -0500
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
> On Dec 20, 2005, at 12:01 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:
>
>> From:    Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Re: ARMA Listserv ahead of the curve
>>
>> Hugh, when you mention "and storage of the media away from the blade
>> servers. (oh, say in the Records Management area?)"
>>
>> What type of "media" are you making reference to here?
>>
>> Best regards, Steve
>> Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
>> Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

Typically the Server Vault has various cartridges that are created by
the system as part of the back up or archival long term storage. (Their
definition of long term and archival being different from records
management's definition.)

  It could be 3590, DLT, Magstar, 8 mm or 4 mm or Ultrium depending on
their writing equipment. Even where clients mirror one Server Vault
with another, they often create the archival or longer term back ups
that rotate either offsite or to an area away from the data center
since the computer equipment creates magnetic fields that are harmful
to the media.

Due to the volume of information they process, they do not want
everything loaded on the system.  For example even with StorageTek
Silos, they load and unload cartridges to keep only certain information
on line.  Even with Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disk (RAID) they
only keep certain information on line.  It is the offline information
stored as cartridges that need to be moved away from the data center or
server room environment.  These information assets should be records
management's property as they are records.  And just as you return
documents from your records center to legal or accounting, why not the
cartridges to IT?

These cartridges would in many cases be sent to an offsite media vault
company to store in their media vault and protect until needed for
another round of back ups.  But in many cases two sets of data
cartridges are created and you should house the ones stored on site and
control the ones vaulted offsite.

RM's must understand that there are no perm out fees for media as IT
has been smart about this. Also avoid the "Evergreen Clause" (the
contract renews automatically months before the contract termination
date if you do not give notice of intent to terminate the contract. )
and the "Guaranteed Volume" clauses. (e.g. your volume climbs to 10,000
cartridges and then you convert to new media that stores the same data
on 5,000 cartridges, with guaranteed minimums clauses you could end up
paying for 8,000 cartridges forever because you once hit that high
water mark.)   Reputable companies do not try to stick IT with these as
they know legal will review the contract and remove them.  But if you
are aware of them, this might be a point of discussion for you that
will show you know what you are talking about and give confidence to IT
that you are a worthy partner.

Shoot, it is not that hard to learn enough about this to make a real
difference for your organization.  If a clunky vault salesman can learn
this stuff, It should be a walk in the park for a records manager.

I know a couple of you RM's from experience have already done this so
you need to step up and talk about your success and how you forged the
relationship.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134