Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:05:07 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
>At the very least they will use your support to request more air
>conditioning, environmental monitors and storage of the media away from
>the blade servers. (oh, say in the Records Management area?)

I think part of what Hugh was getting at here is from NFPA 75 the "Standard
for the Protection of Information Technology Equipment", which was issued
in 2003, prior to the prevalent use of blade-type servers. Here's what it
has to say about the storage of records with respect to proximity with IT
equipment rooms:

Chapter 9 Records Kept or Stored in Information
Technology Equipment Rooms
9.1* Protection Required for Records Within the Information
Technology Equipment Room. Any records regularly kept or
stored in the information technology equipment room shall
be provided with the following protection:
(1) Vital or important records that have not been duplicated
shall be stored in listed record protection equipment with
a Class 150 1-hour or better fire resistance rating as outlined
in UL 72, Standard for Tests for Fire Resistance of Record
Protection Equipment.
(2) All other records shall be stored in closed metal files or
cabinets.
9.2 Records Stored Outside of the Information Technology
Equipment Room.
9.2.1* All vital and important records shall be duplicated. Duplicated
records shall be stored in a remote location that
would not be exposed to a fire involving the original records.
Records shall be stored in fire-resistive rooms in accordance
with NFPA 232, Standard for the Protection of Records.
9.2.2 Portable extinguishing equipment and hose lines for
record storage rooms or areas shall be installed in accordance
with 8.3.1 through 8.3.5.

And this is the definition it gives for Important Records in the same Standard.

3.3.14.1 Important Records. Records that could be reproduced
only at considerable expense and labor or only after
considerable delay.

And, for more on "listed protection equipment", you'd need to see UL72
"Tests for Fire Resistance of Record Protection Equipment"

3.1 Record protection equipment is classified in terms of an interior
temperature limit and a time in hours.
Three temperature limits are employed: 350°F (177°C), 150°F (66°C), or
125°F (52°C). The time limits
employed are 4, 3, 2, 1, or 1/2 hour. The complete rating indicates that
the specified interior temperature
limit is not exceeded when the device is exposed to the standard test fire
as described in these
requirements for the length of time specified including the cool-down
period following the standard fire
exposure.

Larry

Larry Medina
...not all information is created equal !!

LLNL Records and Archives Group
B-411, Room 1307   2-7628