Sender:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:05:20 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
My firm is considering purchasing the Risk Profiler for Records and
> Information Management  from ARMA and NetDiligence.
> I was wondering if anyone has used it and if so, how would you rate it?
> Any feedback would be appreciated.

As with anything else related to RIM, such as retention scheduling and
process issues, only YOUR ORGANIZATION knows the level of risk you are
willing to accept.

If you know what laws, regulations and statutes impact the situations you
operate under (highly regulated industry segments, privacy concerns,
copyright infringement) and you know what the required protections for the
records related to these areas are (retention periods, access protection,
backups, security, proper destruction) then you will know if you're doing an
adequate job of protection.

If you find "gaps". then you have two choices.  Either establish better
practices to close the gaps, or determine what the risk is if you don't.
Some times organizations find that it is so costly to close all of the gaps
that they would rather run the risk associated with not closing them.  It's
basically a cost/benefit analysis and depends on how risk tolerant or risk
averse your organization is willing to be.

Unless you can be assured that some third-party product is bulletproof and
will take into consideration ALL of the possible risks associated with your
organization's operations and the locations you do business in, and
subsequent to an analysis is willing to stand behind it if it was less than
perfect, then you still have a risk exposure.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA