Sender:
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:40:28 -0500
Rick Barry makes some excellent points about annotations, marginalia,
and email.  His John Poindexter-Oliver North example illustrates the
context issue very well!  (Obviously, there are at least two types of
duplicates -- exact duplicates and ones which have value added due to
executive annotations.)

I don't look for a consensus view from this List on the issue of
official records and duplicates.  There are too many variables in
organizations for there to be a consensus.  What helps one organization
can harm another.

An entity with a relatively benign mission and a low risk of being sued
may view records very differently from one which depends on spin to
"sell" a product which insiders know to be faulty or even harmful to
the public.  The former may enourage employees to create records,
preserve knowledge and to share information internally.   And not worry
a great deal about how many duplicates or annotated copies of records
are floating around.  The latter may run totally scared on
recordkeeping, urging employees to write down as little as possible and
to keep knowledge of ethical problems to themselves.

Records can be benign, useful tools, the source of knowledge, insight,
context.  They can help officials benefit from institutional memory and
production of internal histories; analyze and learn from their
predecessors' successes and failures;  better understand their clients,
customers, interest groups, voters, etc.

On the other hand, records can contain information an official wants to
shield from public view, because it points to wrongdoing or is subject
to misinterpretation or simply warrants business confidentiality.  A
successful lawsuit could put a company with a faulty product out of
business.  Public disclosure of the evidence of questionable activities
could harm an official's political career.  Or information taken out of
context simply can be misunderstood by the public and used against an
executive or a public official, fairly or not.  Or provide ammunition
for an opponent or competitor.

Obviously, many organizations fall somewhere between two extremes, not
afraid of records and knowledge but mindful of the need to safeguard
internal deliberations and records.   The exact balance and assessment
of risk won't fall out the same way for every organization.

I suspect that people who do little research or who have faced many
lawsuits probably are more sympathetic to the "keep as little as
possible for the shortest time" approach.  If there are few records
around, it may not hurt their ability to do their job.  There even are
institutions which see little need to rely on corporate memory,
learning from the past, etc.

Other organizations depend on corporate memory.  People who have to
analyze past actions are more inclined to see the value in an audit
trail which answers questions asked by internal clients.  Even the
marginalia on a handout or the annotations on a copy can provide clues
as to how something played out, enabling the internal researcher to
look in the right files to get the needed answer.  Or ask the right
person what happened during or after a key meeting.  Or conduct oral
history interviews which use old notes and records as a starting point
for questions that need answers.

An aside, if I may.  Most historians believe that the best oral
histories result from looking at records.  It helps to occasionally
hand internal documents to interviewees to jog their memories.  We at
GAO did a number of oral histories during the early 1990s.  Soon after
coming to GAO in January 1990, I helped research an oral history on
GAO's now defunct International Division.  The discussion of GAO's work
during the Vietnam War in the narrative and in the appendix was
especially interesting.  Yes, GAO actually had a sub-office in Saigon
during the war, established by Comptroller General Elmer Staats in
1966.  See http://archive.gao.gov/t2pbat8/143539.pdf for the published
oral history interview.  For the history buffs among you , see the
chapter on Elmer Staats that I later researched and wrote and web
published at http://www.gao.gov/about/history/gaohist_1966-1981.htm .
I included some pictures of our auditors in Saigon.

Well, this is running long, as usual.  Back to records and duplicates.
 From reading your postings, I can tell that it can be really tough to
strike the right balance on some of this.  And, as always, much depends
on where you sit.

Maarja (who has spend most of her nearly 33-years of Federal service
doing research)