Sender:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:45:22 -0500
From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Specifically concerning destruction of duplicate records, these can normally
be destroyed without maintaining a records of their destruction so long as
it is stated that the office of record is responsible for
maintaining/destroying the original.

As for keeping a record of all files destroyed, I recommend that all
destruction of official records be conducted by a single entity (the records
dept/mgr). From experience, it pains me to see other depts going ahead and
destroying records because they no longer have space for them or don't think
they need them anymore, unless SOX or the SEC say otherwise. They don't
consult the records dept or even legal counsel most times -- not a good
practice in this day and age. You do seem to have an understanding of the
issues.

I'd like to hear what others think about this too.

Stephen Cohen

On 3/31/06, Cheryl L. Rose <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We are a large foundation in the process of updating our retention
> schedule and disposition processes. We've done well at mass
> documentation from the records center of destruction of records, but not
> so well when departments destroy records. Are there "rules" for when
> destruction needs to be documented? I have a hard sell ahead in making
> this simple to implement if we must show documentation of all records
> destroyed. In my research, it seems that most destruction for public
> records is at a higher standard than what we may need to do. Some
> organizations don't require destruction forms if disposition is done in
> accordance with the retention schedule and in the routine course of
> business. Do you require it, then, if it's not done once minimum
> retention is met and out of routine? Do you document when duplicate or
> convenience copies are destroyed when there are archival records that
> survive in another format? Is it only required for legal or evidential
> records? Is it documented for manual destruction and how would we retain
> evidence of automated dispositions? I've confused myself well and could
> use some advice from the folks out there. Thanks!
>
> Cheryl Rose
> Records & Archives Analyst

Stephen E. Cohen, MLIS
Records Manager & Archivist