Sender:
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:04:54 -0600
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Mary,

My statement dealt with the historical reason for creating a distinction
between records and non-records. It WAS originally a space issue; we have
since progressed as a management discipline.

I agree with the first part of your distinction, but not the second. Records
are identified and maintained according to content (that's the Holy Grail,
anyway) - but not all recorded information is a record. There are many
organizations that follow the regime you outline, wherein everything is a
record albeit of different values and therefore retention periods. But not
all of them do. All recorded information is discoverable - but not all
recorded information is, or should be, treated as a record. We run the risk
of diving into semantics here, but there is a reason why "document" is
defined in ISO 15489 and defined differently from "record".

Finally, lots of organizations do precisely that - with regards to email.
They make a business decision (albeit incorrect, and very risky to the point
of fiduciary irresponsibility) that since they cannot manage email, it must
therefore not be a record.

For your organization, catalogs do form an important class of record; for
mine, they do not. I suppose they would be discoverable, but I cannot
imagine the circumstances under which they would be relevant (and therefore
desirable of being produced).

Hope that clarifies my thought process.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins