Sender:
From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:44:03 -0700

What do those organizations who don't have records managers or even know
what ARMA is do? They manage just fine, I'm sure. If the logic for mail
management being part of RIM is that information should be captured at
point of origin to ensure that it IS properly captured and filed, then
why don't we have all the company's email come to RIM first? The nature
of documents and information flow has changed and we are pushing
classification of these out to each employee (this kind of relates back
to the discussion we had on "minions" a few weeks back). Because some
companies, likely for administrative reasons more than because it's
functionally logical, keep mail and RIM together does not necessarily
mean it should be a RIM competency. As it has been pointed out good
mailroom management has more to do with a lot of non-rim technicalities.
I say let's stick with just focusing on where the two truly intersect
rather than taking on the whole function.

Nolene Sherman
Director of Records Management
Standard Pacific Homes
(949) 789-1668

Subject: Re: [RM] Should Mail be Part of Records Management?

Sorry to belabor this point, but if it is removed from our literature
and training, then what are those smaller organizations to do?  Where
will they get the information to do a job that has been "dumped" on
them.  After all.... Who chose to be a Records Manager?  For most of us,
it was a job that needed doing, so we did it.  And we were happy to get
information wherever we could.  Are we now to cut that off from the
people that follow?  ARMA is an association that was originally formed
to educate.

Yes... "the times they are a changing" and we have to keep up, but the
education should not be replaced.... It should be added to.

GT

Graham Kitchen