Sender:
From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:38:55 -0400
<do you think Mailroom functions should be part of our Records
Management Competencies?>
Ideally?????.....Mailroom tasks and technical functions should NOT be a
RIM function. Courier tasks for storage box or file delivery should NOT.
Registry systems SHOULD because they are essentially a document tracking
system. Imaging (film-based and electronic) SHOULD because, again, they
involve document capture and tracking (usually into a repository of some
kind).  The trick is getting these functions separated from "Mailroom"
functionality in organizations that still lump them together.

< but if you seek to be a professional records manager, stop doing the
clerical duties.>
Absolutely, we should not be doing the "tasks."  The "management" in
records management means "to manage."  Even when I was in charge of the
mailroom, I never did the tasks.  I MANAGED the operation, just as I
MANAGE imaging functions, active records functions, inactive records
functions, etc.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager