Sender:
From:
"Schildmeyer, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:49:14 -0500
If you look at it that way, do you think Mailroom functions should be
part of our Records Management Competencies?

If so, Why?

If not, Why not?

And, if you are thinking in the area of electronic/imaging, would you
call it part of the mailroom, or is it really a part of the records
management function?

Many thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Susan McKinney, CRM
University of Minnesota

________________________________

In following this discussion, I've been intrigued by the answers and the
range of people's experiences.  I won't bore you with my
shipping/mailroom experience in Federal and State Records Centers.

My take on the question is that Mailroom management is a secondary or
ancillary discipline that Records Managers should be familiar with.
It's not a core competency.

It ranks along with:  Forms Management, Correspondence Management, Files
Management, Publications Management, and Directives Management (and
probably a couple others I've overlooked).  These are 1. all somewhat
separate disciplines that have their own vocabularies and practices, 2.
evolving or becoming archaic along with the evolution of computers, and
3. occasionally  a matter that Records Managers need to be involved
with, to a greater or lesser extent.  These are all disciplines that can
have an effect on the lifecycle of information/records, and therefore
can interact with RIM at some time or another.

I believe that the principles of information management that underlie
the practices and procedures of these fields are just as relevant in
today's electronic age as they were for paper when they were being
developed.  Just like I learned to do arithmetic with a pencil and paper
before I ever saw a calculator, so understanding the principles of these
fields gives one a fuller appreciation for what is (or is not) being
accomplished by today's automated systems.

Is it possible to go through a career and never get involved with these
fields?  -Yes.  Should a well-rounded RIM professional have a passing
acquaintance with each of these disciplines? -You bet.  Should they
continue to be subjects contained on the CRM certification exam?
-Absolutely.

Greg Schildmeyer, CRM