Sender:
From:
Rick Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:46:26 EDT
This very interesting thread seems to have taken on a characteristic of the
undying, perhaps because of its importance in the broader scheme of things. If
 the list hasn't already had enough of it, I'd like to amplify on some
comments  in the past week, esp. those of Bill Benedon (competencies taking account
of the historical fundamentals of our profession and the 'birth  to death"
concept of records), Russell D. James (doing vs. training others to do) and
Susan McKinney (questions about functional placement of mail and imaging).

I find it useful to think about some of the important distinctions we need
to consider in the context of whatever aspect we are talking about:
competencies, organizational arrangements, best practices, etc. Some of these  relevant
to this thread are:

1)  Historical vs current vs future roles. Well educated information  and
records managers (more highly paid or contributing to higher-level  positioning?)
should be well informed about all of these roles. Continuing  education
requires focus on current best practices and likely future  implications of
changing workpatterns and recordmaking technologies. So if the  context is ARMA
competency standards or ICRM tests, then all aspects should be  taken into account
in testing, making the distinctions among them clear. Do we  view our jobs as
"just the facts, M'am" or do we see them beyond the basics and  in the broader
opportunities they afford. As Ginny Jones and others have noted,  the
registry system is alive and well in Europe and North America. As ARMA
"International" and "I"CRM are international professional organizations, they  need to
continue to keep an international perspective on this set of issues.

2) Issues arising out of the "post-custodial" discussions (going   back to
Gerald Ham's first usage of the term in 1981; see papers on this at
mybestdocs.com), especially: the physical vs conceptual, intellectual or logical
handling, "custody" and responsibility for recordkeeping. This is not to  suggest
that it has become an either/or situation but rather that our  traditional
responsibilities and competencies for physical records must be  greatly strengthened
with those relating to logical control of records in  digital form. And even
if we surrender  the physical handling of certain paper records, including
snail  mail, it is still incumbent upon us (all the more so than before) to
maintain logical control over information objects that meet the definition of
records. The latter roles involve quite different competencies,  staffing,
staffing levels, etc. Paper vs digital records run into one  another in the use of
technology to gain and maintain logical control over  records, such as when we
develop and implement policies/procedures/systems  to capture and manage paper
records through the use of imaging and  other content
management/recordkeeping  technologies. Also when  we design business systems models and information
discovery schemes to  ensure that paper and electronic records are linked.

3) Balance on the focus between the "Management" and "Records" aspects  of
RM. Over time, the balance has shifted in important ways, as noted  above,
largely because of the advent of electronic records suggesting increased  focus on
the management side of RM, i.e., carrying out functions vs ensuring  that
functions are carried out by others or by systems (whether by training,  auditing,
having an oversight mandate...or whatever). Again, as several have  noted,
this varies greatly depending on organizational size.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Barry
_www.mybestdocs.com_ (http://www.mybestdocs.com/)