Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:00:46 -0700
From:
Russell Stalters <[log in to unmask]>
It has been interesting to watch the swirl of speculation of why Microsoft
has finally jumped in the RM swimming pool.

I may be able to offer another perspective.

Back in 2000 when I was the President of TrueArc, we saw the need for
records management for the then SharePoint V1 and integrated ForeMost with
SharePoint. We became the first vendor to get the combination DoD 5015.2
certified.

Starting back then and for many years I have lobbied long and loudly
directly to the product folks at Microsoft to take a more active role in
addressing RM with their products that create and manage content like
SharePoint and Content Management Server.

What you have to understand is that Microsoft's philosophy has been to be a
platform provider which relied on partners to round out their solutions with
the additional needed functionality. RM and workflow are two good examples
of this over the last 6 years since we at TrueArc integrated ForeMost with
SharePoint.

I think what has been happening over the last six years has been the normal
evolution of Microsoft's platform (STS -> SPS V1 -> SPS V2 -> SPS V3 coming)
and the growing adoption of these technologies by the marketplace. As the
SharePoint platform has gained significant popularity and adoption by many
customers, they went back to Microsoft and said "Hey, we need some organic
records management capability".

I think they are also responding the competitive pressures of the market.
Case in point is Oracle adding RM to Collaboration Suite 10g and the fact
that their other main competitor, IBM, provides RM organically.

Finally, I think the entire ECM market is maturing and is recognizing the
importance of RM as a core capability needed to manage the authenticity and
life cycle of content. We have been shouting about this for years and it
took Enron, MCI, and the response offered by the Sarbanes Oxley Act combined
to get the rest of the business and IT world to sit up and listen. I think
this is true with Microsoft. Their clients telling them that they needed
help with compliance was another tipping point.

I think the great thing about the Microsoft RM Blog is that the RM team at
Microsoft is not presenting marketing swill or pitching to all of us. They
are starting a conversation and it behooves everyone with a comment,
suggestion, question, or opinion to comment on their Blog. I know many of
the Microsoft folks personally and they want your feedback and they will
listen.

I hope that sheds a little different light on this.

Finally, I wanted to mention that I started a Blog:
http://BetterECM.wordpress.com and want to encourage folks to check  it out.
I plan to discuss topics like this, review some of the new ECM technologies
coming to market including the Open Source offerings, and engage in
conversations with whoever wants to talk about the market.

Best Regards,

Russell Stalters
Compliance Solutions Group
"The Microsoft Compliance People"